Thursday, November 09, 2006

September : Chris in Allerheiligen

Greetings from Allerheiligen!

After having been in the New Zealand mission centre for 3 years, I am now 2 weeks plus in my new mission centre.Well, I came in a very busy period what with the leadership meetings,Kisi Kids workshop, Igor and Marica's wedding plus several guestsvisiting.....thankfully and finally, after all the above, I am goingto move into my proper room at the staff house this week. Yey! I canfinally unpack my suitcase :-)

Two Sundays ago (17 Sept), our new worship team officially commenced itsone-year project with the celebration of the Sunday Eucharist. The word we received as the community prayed for us was to go beyond whatwe know because God has more to reveal to us, like Moses whoencountered the Lord in the burning bush after he took his flockbeyond the familiar grazing ground. That word resonated very much with me because it was similar to whatstruck me in the Gospel reading of the day I left Singapore to come to Allerheiligen: of Jesus telling Peter to go into the deep waters andto let down his nets for a catch.And indeed, it has been (and I know it will be) the case of my going into deep waters on various levels.Most importantly, I grasped that the Lord's priority for me is to go deeper in my relationship with Him. So my resolve is to protect mypersonal time with Him and to learn to listen more to Him speaking tomy heart in the quiet. Indeed, the Lord has designed the serene spaceand landscape of Allerheiligen as a big chapel. So I feel very blessedto be here.

There are 6 of us in the worship team at the moment: Derek,Bea, Angie, Patricia, Ben (from Bavaria) and myself.



Our first week has been a very good start to our year together as we prayed together, listened to Derek share about the project, to oneanother's faith stories, clarified practical things like protocols for planned for the next couple of months, brainstormed on the name forour ministry and fund-raising ideas, etc.

btw, I really enjoy the sound of German songs and look forward to singing them with greater understanding of the lyrics. ;-)

Although we are very different in many ways and ages (see attached photo), and do not know one another well, we find ourselves clicking very well with one another (Phew, praise God!). What's especially significant for us is that in our times of worship as a team, we always experience the very strong presence of God in our midst, and a freedom to praise and proclaim God's word. Through these times, I can see Father God is truly desiring to affirm us of the one call He has placed on our hearts.


Honestly sometimes I do feel rather inadequate in terms of music skill and knowledge and experience in ministry and what I can contribute. I know this is something I need to surrender to God; my fears and reservations, my own definition of my strengths as well as my weaknesses. To trust in His call (Go deeper!), to rely on His word (Let down your nets for a catch) and believe He has more in store for me than I can ever ask for or imagine (The nets were filled to breaking point).

The question is how open I am to receive what God desires to give me.This is the deep He is calling me to.Pray for me, in the words of Steve Curtis Chapman's song, that I will DIVE right in! And savour the goodness of the Lord!

God has been very kind to me even as I settle into life here. One hugeblessing was being able to see Rainer, Jitka and Esther again. Theseare the familiar faces I have been given to journey together in mymissionary life so far. And having them around brought me so much joy- just see my photo taken with Rainer. Big smiles there! :-D




Rainer: I appreciate your making time for me while you were here and blessing me with your friendship and words of encouragement. Bless you, too ah

After bidding farewell to Esther, the last of the familiar faces to leave here, I felt sad. As Esther said, now is the time to practise communion. I suppose it means that connectedness in the Spirit of Christ that transcends distance. I'm thankful this grace is availableto me. And which comforts me even as I face another call to go deeperand that is to grow me in fraternal relationships here in this newcommunity. DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

OK, that's all for now. I hope you are all keeping well in the Lord. Weather's turned cooler and wetter. Am waiting for the autumn-glory ofthe Lord :-)

Praying God's abundant blessings on you,chris

No comments: